Did you know Cacao is one of the most nutrient-dense foods known to man?
Containing over 300 chemical compounds, making it a premium source of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, protein and healthy fats. It is a great dietary source of arginine, an amino acid known as nature’s Viagra.
It also contains the neurotransmitter anandamide, known as the bliss chemical, naturally found in the human brain (the only food other than cannabis to contain this) and tryptophan, an essential amino acid which the brain uses to make the neurotransmitter serotonin (an essential feel-good substance), and phenetylamine (PEA) (known as the molecule of joy – a chemical produced in the brain when we are happy, immersed in the moment and in love).
So if you are in need of some loving kindness, gratitude and joy – reach for some organic, fair-trade dark chocolate (where cacao as listed as the main ingredient) – or even better make your own….
- 150g raw cacao butter
- 6 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 75g raw agave nectar/ maple syrup
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- Few drops of stevia
- Optional toppings: nuts, seeds, goji berries, dried fruit, coconut flakes, cacao nibs
- Optional flavourings: peppermint, orange,
- Melt the cacao butter gently in a bain-marie until runny
- Pour the runny chocolate into a chocolate mould or shallow, lined tin
- Gently turn from side to side, tap the base to ensure an even layer
- Sprinkle on preferred toppings
- Place in a freezer until set
- Remove from mould and break into chunks